Monday, January 12, 2009

Happy Birthday to You!

My baby is ONE. What the heck happened to that year? Oh my gosh, the whole year went by in a week-especially the first three months. Those were just a blur of diaper changes, middle of the night feedings, and crying (mostly mine-the things they don't tell you!) Then the first smile during a 2:00 am diaper change that made it all worth it. And the first laugh . . . that I didn't get to hear. And the second laugh THAT I DIDN'T GET TO HEAR! And the third laugh that was so beautiful. And the first frantic call to the pediatrician about poop, the first projectile spit-up that landed all over the baby and me and the bed and the floor and even on poor Dante, the 100 frantic calls to my mother about ~everything~, the first time she crawled, walked, said "Momma" and "Dada" and finally cut a tooth! Who knew being a parent could make you so emotional, logical, strict, lenient, and crazy at the same time? And only being a parent can make you proudly say, "Yes, my baby has at least one regular bowel movement every day" to the pediatrician like she is the only one who has mastered this impressive skill at this age and the pediatrician, and his nurse, and in fact, the entire staff and the waiting room full of parents should be extremely impressed and in awe of your child. 'Cause, well, they should be.

When I was planning R's birthday party, I knew she had to have a panda cake. Publix makes a 3D bear cake that they decorate all different ways for holidays, baby showers, and baby birthdays, but when I asked for them to turn the solid brown bear into a panda, you would have thought I was speaking a foreign language. And it felt that way, too, when I had to say "just black here and white there, no brown" over and over. But, finally after checking that she had my phone number for the 3rd time "just in case it can't be done," the bakery lady let me go and walked away frowning at her notes. I was not feeling too hopeful at this point and was just wishing I had asked them to draw a panda onto a sheet cake and be done with it. Thankfully, the panda cake was gorgeous and perfect when I went back to pick it up. Then it rode home with me. I am sorry to say that the poor panda suffered the loss of an arm, a leg and possibly a kidney. I had no other option but to call my sister who braved the post-holiday rush at the stores to buy surgical equipment with which to operate on the panda. Being the skilled panda surgeon that she is, AnBa soon had the cake looking as gorgeous as it was before the bad driving accident occurred.
The Princess had a ball at her party. She loved the decorations, eating her smash cake, opening presents and spending time with family.

Here she is with her Great Aunt Helen and Uncle William.


Look, Gampa!
Time for presents!



















That's all for now. I was just trying to get this posted in under a month. Of course, today is exactly one month since her party. Such is my life. To be continued . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I really did was put some big, ugly band-aids on Miss Panda, but if they're calling that surgery these days . . . ;o)

How did you strike through text???? I've wanted to do that and have yet to figure out how.